The Pitt Panthers men’s lacrosse team is coming off a successful 2018-2019 campaign, that included an appearance in the CLC conference tournament and 6 all-conference honorees, 3 of which will be returning for this season. The team boasts a very good young core of over 20 freshman and sophomores who should be able to make major contributions to the team this year and in the future. Despite the recent departure of head coach Zach Wilfong, the 2019-2020 season looks bright for the Panthers, as they are currently led by interim head coach Richard Rattner, a stalwart in Western Pennsylvania lacrosse for the past three decades. The 2019-2020 fall slate will include scrimmage against local DIII school St. Vincent, and our annual alumni game on October 25.
About Our Project
Being a part of the MCLA and the CLC conference is a very expensive endeavor. We have to play anywhere from 12-18 games each spring, about half of which require us to take long road trips. Being a club sports team, we do not receive athletic funding from the University of Pittsburgh, and therefore need to cover most of the costs that come with competing in this league. Some of these costs include field time, shot clocks, apparel, equipment, buses/hotel rooms for 3-5 trips during the spring, and many more.
We strive to be able to cover these costs using our own unique ideas for raising money, such as t-shirt sales, working landmark security at Steeler and Pitt football games, and fundraisers at local restaurants. However, without the support of our loyal fanbase and Pitt community, we are incapable of covering the costs listed previously on our own. We sincerely appreciate any donation that you are willing to give, which will go toward any of costs detailed, or if we surpass our goal, to general operating expenses. 100% of the donations go to our team and all donations are tax deductible, with you receiving a tax receipt from Pitt in the mail.
Where Does Your Donation Go
1. Regular season Roadtrips (Philadelphia, Buffalo, Indiana)
- Our regular season will include at least 3 road trips, which will include a trip March 20-21 to play Temple and Northeastern in Philadelphia, a mid-April trip to Buffalo to play Buffalo and potentially another opponent, and an early March road trip to Indiana to play Purdue and Indiana.
- Estimated costs for these road trips will be $25,800, which accounts for buses, 3-5 nights in hotels, food, etc
2. CLC Conference Tournament (Location and dates TBD)
- We hope to return to the CLC conference tournament this year after earning a berth last season. This tournament will likely take place in late April, and while we are unsure of the location currently, we speculate it may be in Erie, Pennsylvania.
- Costs for this road trip will be $13,000, which accounts for a bus, 1-3 nights in a hotel, food, etc.
3. MCLA National Championship (May 4-9, 2020; Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Our biggest aspiration is to reach the pinnacle of the MCLA, which is to compete for a national championship. This event consists of them best 16 teams in the country, and they compete in a single elimination tournament.
- Costs TBD: However, the costs we would have to cover would include round trip plan tickets for about 35 players and coaches, ground transportation in Salt Lake City, 3-5 nights in a hotel, food, etc.