iSchool Inclusion Institute (i3) 2019
The iSchool Inclusion Institute (i3) is an award-winning diversity initiative that recruits and prepares underrepresented students for graduate study and careers in the information sciences. Our mission is to increase both the number and diversity of students prepared for research, teaching, and professional careers. A more diverse faculty and information profession adds more voices and perspectives to our effort to solve the world's most challenging information problems.
Only 25 undergraduate students from across the country are selected each year to become i3 Scholars. Those students undertake a yearlong experience that includes two summer institutes hosted by the University of Pittsburgh School of Computing and Information and a research project spanning the year. i3 prepares students for the rigors of graduate study and serves as a pipeline for i3 Scholars into internationally recognized information schools—the iSchools. Most importantly, i3 empowers students to create change and make an impact in their communities.
More than 185 students have participated in the i3 program since it began in 2011. While many i3 Scholars are still completing their undergraduate degrees, our alumni are doing amazing things and building successful careers as information professionals.
- More than 80% of students who have completed a Bachelor’s degree have matriculated into graduate programs or careers in the information sciences or related fields. i3 Scholars have completed graduate degrees at the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Michigan, Rutgers University, and University of California at Irvine, among many others. Our alumni work in prestigious libraries and universities as well as for companies like Accenture, IBM, Google, and Deloitte.
- 100% of i3 Scholars who have applied to graduate programs have been admitted to 1 or more programs.
- i3 Scholars have produced 43 publications at peer reviewed conferences from their team research projects.
- i3 Scholars give back to their communities through leadership and service in our alumni association. Our alumni have started local chapters of Girls Who Code to mentor girls in high school, hosted online webinars to provide educational opportunities for their peers, and advised research projects for new students.
What i3 Provides to Students
Introductory Institute: Summer 1, Four Weeks
Held on the main campus of the University of Pittsburgh
- Special-topic workshops that highlight the many specialties and research areas in the information sciences
- Professional development sessions led by industry and research experts that focus on graduate school applications, mentoring, résumé building, and networking
- Two-week modules on research design and programming (beginner and advanced sessions) taught by PhD teaching fellows from top-tier iSchools
- Students form research teams and work with advisors to design a yearlong research project
Team Research Project
i3 Scholars return home and work with team members remotely to complete a yearlong project
- Each team is supported by a research advisor
- Students gain experience with project management tools and collaborative technology
- Interdisciplinary project topics blend social and technical aspects
Concluding Institute: Summer 2, Two Weeks
i3 Scholars return to the main campus of the University of Pittsburgh to complete the program
- Students develop a research poster and present team projects
- Projects are prepared for submission to iConference and other leading research conferences
- Students network with the new cohort of i3 Scholars and join the i3 Alumni Association
How You Can Help
- Donate! We need your help to keep i3 free and accessible to ALL students. i3 provides academic stipends to students and covers associated costs to help them make the choice to invest in a career in the information sciences.
- Spread the word! Share this link with your family and friends - by email, social media, text message, or any other communication method - and ask them to donate!
The Impact of Your Donation
You support will develop of the next generation of information scientists. Your generous donation to our campaign will help cover:
- Stipends which allow students to take part in i3 and invest in their future
- Transportation fees for students to/from University of Pittsburgh
- Supplies including, but not limited to, binders, books, printing of academic posters, and research project materials
- Group meals during summer, on-campus residencies
- Housing in university dorms
- Travel awards for students to attend academic conferences to present published research
- Tickets to social and entertainment events in Pittsburgh
- GRE test preparation
- And so much more!